Noah's Nursery

With this pregnancy coming to a close, I have been anxious to start & finish the nursery. So, like I mentioned in a previous post, I got to work.

Noah's room started out a pale brown. The previous tenant/owner of our house had a thing for brown ... and sea foam green ... and bright yellow. (Side note: The color combinations of this house drive me crazy!)

Home Depot is by far my favorite "craft" store ... so, I started there. ( I actually ended up there on accident ... meaning I frequent that store multiple times a week that I was really there for no reason and probably not there for paint). I purchased the paint -- in white because I wanted his room to be bright and inviting --  and all the necessary supplies and got to painting. All in all, it took me about a day and a half to paint. There was lots of sweat and some tears (and maybe even some swearing). Kent had been working during that time and was surprised to find that I had painted a room and failed to mention it to him. He says failed to mention -- I say "Remember when I said I wanted to paint Noah's room? Oh, well that meant that I was going to paint Noah's room and officially decided while I was walking around Home Depot today."

He's not huge on painting anyway, so he didn't mind in the end.

Before. Brown walls and brown curtains. Bleh.

During -- Note that I was too weak to move that box in the middle of the room so it sat there until Kent came home. And the plug covers on the wall were stuck, so those stayed on, as well, until Kent got home.

In the midst of all the painting I had been scouring KSL's classified section for a crib. This poor kid was cribless and I wasn't about to let the room sit painted, but unfinished. I mean, this nursery is really for me after all, considering Noah probably won't care. I was lucky enough to find the EXACT crib that I wanted, originally priced around $120, but brand spankin' new (stickers still on it and everything) for $40. The family that purchased it was moving to New York and didn't want to take it with them. It was a huge steal and I lucked out.

Putting it together was tricky, but I like to think that I'm independent enough and got it all put together without Kent's help -- which is an accomplishment for me cause when he's home I constantly "need" him to "help" me.

I also searched high and low for a wingback chair that wouldn't put me in the grave with a $600 price tag. I stumbled upon this treasure at a thrift store in Salt Lake for $10. TEN DOLLARS. I cleaned it and purchased a slip cover to match the room and BAM ... perfect.

After paint ... and a chair.

When painting and crib assembly was all said and done, I got to thinking about the details, by far my favorite part. I scoured places like TJ Maxx and Ross for curtains, but came up empty handed. I have found that I get pretty disappointed in curtain selections. They're either exactly what I'm looking for and far too expensive or in the right price range and ugly as sin. 

I opted for the easiest and cheapest way to get everything I wanted -- I just had to make it all myself. 

Ikea it was. They have the thickest duck cloth for the most affordable price. They also have a huge store full of things I love.

Slowly starting to look like an Ikea show room.

Details: Wall frame


(camera print I made for a school project)

It's now nearly finished. Once we add a dresser and a baby, it'll be complete. I wasn't sure where I was going to go with the theme of the nursery (at first I thought blues and yellows and sailboats -- I quickly changed my mind). As for the the black, white, grey, and gold inspiration, I'm not sure either (ahem, pinterest), but I'm excited about the result and how far it's come from the start with dreary brown walls.

4 comments: